Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Conditioning Your Mind for a Long-Distance Run




I tried to finish a 7km run last Saturday. To my surprise, I was not able to hit the targeted distance and was able to finish only 5km.

I used to do a 10km run every weekend and had no problem accomplishing the said distance. But for quite some time, I decided to mix my exercises.

I was in proper condition during my run. I was not breathing heavily. My muscles are not aching during the last laps, and I felt strong.

So what had hindered me from finishing the 7km run? I realized it was my mind setting. Although my body is well-conditioned, not running for several weeks weakened my brain’s drive to achieve a certain distance. I still can run, but I lost the willingness to continue.

What I learned

Mixing exercises is certainly not bad for achieving proper conditioning. But I realize that, if preparing for a long-distance race, it is a must to practice achieving my targeted distance twice a month and half of it every week.

By doing so, motivating myself to continue running up to a certain distance wouldn’t be much difficult.

Then why not run the target distance every week? Based on my experience, doing so would be extremely difficult for the leg muscles, affecting speed and performance. I learned that mixing up exercises makes me feel much stronger and improves my pacing and speed.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment