Monday, October 21, 2013

Learning to Play a New Instrument: My New Flute





Learning to play a new instrument takes a lot of patience and hard work.

I knew that when I decided to buy a flute in a music store at the mall last week. Having learned playing the piano and guitar on my own, I already experienced the hard work that is involved in mastering a musical instrument. That is why I expect the flute to be no different.

It takes time – a lot of time. And usually, it takes a lifetime of study and practice to realize a musical instrument’s full potential. Nonetheless, if you are passionate enough in what you are doing, you’ll find the journey exciting and fulfilling.

During my first try in playing the flute, I felt quite frustrated because I can’t make a sound. Considering that it takes different styles of blowing to create sounds on different octaves, I knew what I am up to.

First, I tried to experiment on how to make a sound by disconnecting the head joint from the barrel. This way, I was able to concentrate on sound production without the inconvenience of holding the whole body of the flute. Making sound is also more difficult with the middle joint and foot joint connected to the head joint.

In the first two days, I wasn’t able to come up with a good tone. But I knew I have to experiment on blowing the right amount of air across the embouchure and having the right form. For my third day of practice, I was able to produce a sort of a “whistling” sound and I knew I was close to making this instrument sound.

It was fulfilling, and I thought of how fulfilling it could be when I am able to play a full song already on the flute. This gave me motivation to study more and made me more passionate to play the flute and create music.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment