Thursday, August 16, 2012

Backtrack: Why high school basketball is still the best

From Life's Rhythm Lived On


Looking at some of my old photos, I came across this picture from my high school days. It shows me sitting with my fellow varsities, taken years ago when I was still playing basketball in high school.

It is one of the most memorable experiences I have had in my lifetime. As much as high school years have been meaningful to me, being a part of our school's athletic program has its own space in my special memory box.


From Life's Rhythm Lived On


Here are some of the reasons why, whatever level of basketball a person may have played at, HS basketball is still the best:

1. Unlimited access of the basketball court
2. Presence of all school mates and classmates, even the school principal whenever the team has a game
3. Having your own quarters and lockers, a privilege that a few students enjoy
4. Having the excuse to wear your favorite rubber shoes even if you are in school uniform
5. Being able to stay inside the university longer than your fellow students during school days
6. Scholarships and allowance
5. Exemption for CAT
6. Grade bonuses in PE
7. Being able to learn (at a young age) important lessons that make you realize that great knowledge can be acquired not only inside the classroom but also outside of it.

One of the important lessons I learned during my stint as a HS varsity is how to accept failures and how to use them as motivation to train harder and learn more in order to accomplish much greater things not only in athletics but also in life.

I also learned that when you do the things you love, you will have a sense of purpose and direction in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment