Friday, February 17, 2012

Condura Skyway Marathon 2012: A musing on my first race

The Condura Skyway Marathon 2012, Run for the Mangroves, was finally over. And I'm so glad that I've been part of a historical event like this and that I'm able to finish my first race, considering that it is a 21Km run.

Before the race, I'm actually hesitant if I can run the half-marathon. I only trained for over one month, and the farthest I have run is only 10Km. As a matter of fact, two weeks before the race, I was actually thinking of quitting. And now I'm glad I decided to try at least.

From The Skyway Marathon


During the actual race, I was surprised how fast my pacing is compared to my practices. Maybe it's because of the drive that the competition brings to every runner. I crossed the 10.5Km mark of the race at 1:17:09, a lot faster than my average time.

After crossing the half mark of the race, doubts suddenly came into my mind. Can I still run another 10.5Km? I asked myself. I look at my bib and just thought of how it feels to receive my first marathon medal. The picture of myself wearing it gives me enough strength to move forward.

From The Skyway Marathon


The last 2Km to 4Km no longer questioned my determination as a runner but the capacity of my body to receive several impacts. I suddenly felt cramps on almost all parts of my legs all the way to my toes. Indeed, my body may have already reached its limitations. But the thought of it did not make me weak but encourage me to move faster. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, I told myself. Now I have the chance to exceed my limitations and prove myself.

And that is what I've done. Thank God, I've finished the race at 2:56:47. Waiting for me are my proud girlfriend, brother, and tito. It is such a great feeling of success, one of the finest actually. Thank you Condura for the opportunity!

From The Skyway Marathon


From The Skyway Marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment